Nocturnal Enuresis, which is widely known as bedwetting, is frequently linked with kids. But do you know it can also affect adults, including women in specific age groups? Most boyfriends often complain about their girlfriend wets the bed. For you, the subject of a girlfriend’s bedwetting can be serious as it can affect your relationship.
If you also want to know what to do when your girlfriend wets the bed at night, this blog will provide the right solution. After reading it, you will have a better idea of how to handle this situation and protect your loving relationship. We also discuss the main causes behind adult bedwetting. So without any further ado, let’s get started.
Why Does Your Girlfriend Wets The Bed At Night?
There can be various reasons behind why a girl wets the bed at night. It can be due to a change in hormones or some medical condition. During this, you have to handle your girlfriend in an appropriate way and seek medical attention in case of emergency. Let’s see the main causes behind bedwetting:
Primary Nocturnal Enuresis
Some women continue to wet the bed into adulthood because of a disorder in the chronic bladder or urinary system. This type of disorder started in childhood and is mainly seen among kids at an early age.
Secondary Nocturnal Enuresis
Urinary tract infections, problems with the bladder or prostate, hormone imbalances, neurological disorders, and psychological stress are just a few of the causes of adult-onset night-time urination. It comes under the secondary nocturnal enuresis which is mainly seen in adults due to hormone imbalance.
Use Of Alcohol Or Other Drugs
Using excessive amounts of alcohol and drugs might also disrupt the natural functioning of the bladder which causes bedwetting. People who take high doses of alcohol and drugs often complain of frequent urination during sleep.
Read More: Common Signs Your Period Is Coming Tomorrow
What Causes Females To Wet The Bed?
If your girlfriend wets the bed at night, you must understand the main causes behind it. Bedwetting is a complicated problem that can be caused due to different health issues. The main causes behind the bedwetting caused by females at night are as follows:
- Urinary Tract Infection (UTI): Around 50 and 60 percent of women experience UTI once at some point in their lives. Yes, it happens that frequently and a gut microbe is responsible for it. When E. coli bacteria is transferred from the rectum to the vagina, it may enter the urethra and infect the bladder, causing bedwetting. It is entirely treatable.
- Diabetes: Type 2 diabetes is increasingly prevalent in females but it is also increasingly prevalent in children, teenagers, and young adults. Due to the body's inability to digest glucose and sugar, a lot of pee is produced, which can lead to bedwetting.
- Sleep apnea: This condition is frequently brought on by irritated or enlarged tonsils or adenoids, causing breathing interruptions that might result in bed-wetting.
- Psychological elements: Trauma, stress, and worry can alter sleep patterns and result in bedwetting.
- It runs in her family: Studies have suggested a hereditary component link to the bedwetting, thus it might run in her family. So there is a huge chance that the problem of frequent urination has been transferred from the previous generation to your girlfriend.
All of these explanations are based on physiological and genetic issues, and to address these issues, your girlfriend will need the assistance of a specialist in determining the root cause. She might believe it's her fault or feel too ashamed to talk to anybody about it. When your girlfriend wets the bed, it's your responsibility to handle the situation in the right way and support her.
How Should I Help My Girlfriend Who Wets The Bed At Night?
You can help your girlfriend in many ways if she wets the bed at night. Since both of you are in a relationship, it is essential for you to understand her current feelings and talk to her. First of all, it’s not her fault in all this. At the time, when your girlfriend wets the bed, you should politely talk to her. Here are the different ways in which you can handle this situation well:
Speak To Her
The primary step you need to take when your girlfriend wets the bed is to talk to her in a friendly way. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Recognize that you two are beings of humanity and that you are in a relationship.
- No issue is too complex for straightforward communication.
- You must speak with her.
- If she finds out that you are aware of her bedwetting, she will likely feel uncomfortable, stressed, and perhaps ashamed.
- She is currently experiencing hell.
- She will feel worse if she ignores the event or acts as if it never happened.
- Don't pretend that everything is fine and put things under the rug.
- Gently converse with her.
- Be extremely kind and use a cool-headed approach.
Respectfully address the issue while treating her. Here's how to approach it:
- Pick a quiet location. Make sure she feels safe and at ease when you talk about this with her, ideally in her home, and that you are both in a private location.
- Ensure that you both have time. Don't talk about this while getting ready for work or while she is assisting the kids with getting ready for school. Wait until you both have time to talk about this, and be patient.
- Be incredibly delicate. Introduce the subject by stating something like, "I saw you had an accident last night. Do you want to discuss it? I'm here to help you.
- You must respect your girlfriend if she chooses not to discuss it, so pay attention. Take her advice into consideration. Try to comprehend her worries.
- Don't interrupt. Don't talk during her speech or make suggestions. Listen only. You can start a conversation with her by posing her open-ended queries. She needs to know she can rely on you to discuss these matters with her.
- After she's finished speaking, provide your support by reassuring her that you still care for her and that her bedwetting doesn't affect your opinion of her. She needs to understand that you two are opposed to the problem. The matter shouldn't put you at odds.
Encourage Her To Consult A Doctor
If you and she have had a heart-to-heart discussion about this and she now feels comfortable talking to you about it.
- Get her to a doctor's appointment.
- Please be aware that some patients will put off receiving care because they dislike hospitals or doctors.
- If your girlfriend is one of those folks, you'll need to exercise patience.
- You must assist her in realizing that this is a medical problem that can only be resolved if she sees a doctor.
- She will be assisted by a doctor in determining any underlying medical issues that might be causing her bedwetting.
- They will advise a successful course of therapy for her and assist her in determining the best line of action.
Use Bedding That Is Padded
Since you've previously spoken to her about it, you can now take action to make things simpler for both of you. Many issues are resolved through communication. She will be more eager to assist you with cleaning up if she is aware that both of you are opposed to the problem.
By employing cushioning bedding, such as disposable bed pads or waterproof mattress protectors, you can make your girlfriend feel more at ease. Check out the following products:-
- Mattress protector and encasement that is waterproof
- Disposable underpads that have a lot of absorption
These will also be helpful because they will relax her during stress which is causing her bedwetting. She can relax knowing that she can rely on your support if she knows that the clean-up process is easy and that you are being kind and encouraging.
Encourage Her To Drink Water
- Encourage your girlfriend to drink enough water to make a balance in hormones.
- But it's crucial to drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep her body flushing out toxins and preserve the health of her organs.
- Additionally, this will lessen the amount of liquids she consumes at night before bed.
Establish A Good Bedtime Routine For Her
- Stress and anxiety can cause bedwetting and have a severe impact on sleep.
- Encourage her to unwind if she is very concerned about this matter.
- Before your wedding, you can both practice guided meditation.
- Limit your screen time and spend some quality time with your partner in the dark before bed.
- Try your hardest to get a good night's sleep.
- You might also think about setting alarms for her to help her get up 1-2 times during the night to use the restroom so she can empty her bladder.
- Having your support will ultimately be a tremendous help to her in calming down and realizing that this is not a big problem.
- She only needs to be assured that you love her and would stand by her through everything.
Give Her A Calendar To Use
- If this happens frequently, advise her to use a calendar tracker so that she can know when it occurs and perhaps identify a trend.
- This will also assist the doctor in determining the root of the bedwetting.
- The more details you and your partner can give the doctor, the more effectively they can assist you.
Maintain Her Privacy
- It should go without saying, but if you're attempting to seek help, please don't share this with friends or relatives.
- You must respect her privacy because bedwetting is a serious subject.
- Don't divulge this information to anyone else without her consent.
- It might have an immediate impact on your partnership with her.
- Motivate her to speak with someone:
- Ask her to talk to someone if she is experiencing a lot of emotions that she can't manage or if you notice that this problem is having an impact on her mental health.
- A therapist or counselor can assist your girlfriend in resolving any underlying problems, particularly if she is experiencing stress or trauma.
- These kinds of issues occasionally get resolved fast and occasionally not.
- In either case, be encouraging and let her know you're on her side.
- Finding a solution can take some time, especially if she's looking for the root of the problem.
These are the simple ways by which you can handle the situation when your girlfriend wets the bed at night. It is equally important to seek medical professional assistance and discuss the issue in detail.
Don’t Forget To Read: Food That Kills Sperm In The Female Body
Adult bedwetting, particularly that of girlfriends, can be a problematic problem in a relationship. If your girlfriend wets the bed at night, both of you may work through this predicament by being aware of the possible causes of bedwetting, encouraging her to get a medical checkup, and offering emotional support. As a boyfriend, it's your responsibility to handle this issue while keeping her comfortable.
Since the bedwetting can be treated with the proper medical treatment. You should reach out to the doctor as soon as possible. We hope you get the answer to your query in this blog. If you find it informative, share this blog with your friends and family members. For getting more tips on different health problems, subscribe to our newsletter.