Anyone who has experienced pain can understand how hard it is to deal with it. Pain is a physical sensation that occurs when body tissues get damaged. It can be caused by physical injuries, surgeries, or even other health problems which can be mild or severe. Some pain-relief medications, such as Subutex, can be beneficial in lowering pain and in helping you get instant relief.
In 2002, Subutex was approved by the U.S. Food And Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of chronic pain. Patients who experience persistent pain have been treated with Subutex medicine. However the excessive use of this pain-relief medication can lead to an addiction to this drug, therefore it should be taken as prescribed by a medical expert. In this blog, we will be discussing how long does Subutex stay in your system, its benefits, and possible effects on overall health.
Information About Subutex (Pain-Relief Medication)
Subutex is a commercial name for Buprenorphine. It is a popular medication used in treating chronic pain in the body. This medication comes in two compositions: Suboxone and Subutex. Suboxone is also a pain-relief medication that is a combination of Naloxone and Buprenorphine.
However, Subutex is only composed of Buprenorphine, which is prescribed to individuals who want to discontinue consuming Morphine or Codeine, and other drugs. When a person with a long history of drug abuse chooses not to consume drugs like morphine, codeine, or other narcotics, their different body parts suffer from severe pain.
In this situation, Subutex can be used to treat severe pain because it reduces pain and treats symptoms when utilized as a complete treatment for addiction.
How Does Subutex Work As A Painkiller?
Subutex is not typically recommended as a painkiller, but it can be used by people who are addicted to consuming a certain kind of drug, opioids like Heroin or Codeine. To block pain signals to the brain, Subutex acts as a replacement for opioid painkillers. It produces the same brain receptors that morphine and heroin do.
Subutex is a partial painkiller agonist, which reduces the risk of abuse or addiction and has a less significant effect on these receptors than full agonists. It can also help in controlling mild to severe pain, including the pain brought on by surgery, but because it has a milder impact on the body, it is more commonly used to treat pain in opioid addiction.
The intake of Subutex is mainly prescribed by a healthcare professional using it for pain management in certain situations. However, the question here is how long does Subutex stay in your system and what is the best way to use this medication. For further details, explore the next section.
How To Use Subutex As A Pain-Relief Medication?
Even though Subutex is used to relieve physical pain, it should only be taken with a healthcare provider’s approval and guidance. It is equally important to understand how long does Subutex stay in your system without causing any side effects. Here are some general guidelines on using Subutex as a pain-relief medication:
- Before starting to take this medication, consult with your healthcare provider. They will give you the best advice and provide prescriptions including no doses of this medication.
- Subutex comes in the form of a sublingual tablet that dissolves under the tongue. Place the tablet under your tongue and leave it to fully dissolve by itself.
- You should avoid eating or drinking anything for at least 30 minutes before and after taking Subutex to ensure the medication is fully absorbed.
- Do not cut, crush, chew, or swallow the tablet; the medication must dissolve completely under your tongue to work properly.
- Take Subutex exactly as prescribed by your healthcare provider, do not take more or less than the recommended dose.
- Take your medicine at the proper time and never skip the doses. If you have missed your medicine to take, you can take it as soon as you remember but you should not take two doses at the same time. If it is the time for the second dose you can skip the first one.
- The intake of Subutex medication should never be stopped suddenly without consulting a doctor. If you stop taking the drug suddenly, your body can experience unpleasant side effects of the withdrawal.
- Keep away the medication from the children and store your medicine in a safe place and don’t use it for anything else because it can cause a reaction to your body.
- Dispose of the leftover medicine if it is not in use. If someone uses the medication accidentally it can be very dreadful for them.
- Some patients may also need behavioral therapy and counseling along with Subutex, which are commonly advised by the medical profession to treat the patient.
- Attend follow-up meetings with your doctor regularly to evaluate the medication’s effectiveness, and to keep looking out for any negative reactions that may occur during the process of the treatment.
Must Read: How To Stop Crackling In Ears?
Precautions To Take Before Taking Subutex Medicine
Subutex is a drug that is used to treat the condition of people with chronic pain. The drug can cause a severe reaction in the body when used improperly. There are several precautions to keep in mind before taking Subutex. Some of them include:
- If you are allergic to any type of medication or any other active ingredients of Subutex like Buprenorphine, you should discuss this with your healthcare provider and inform them about any past or present substance abuse problems.
- If you are taking any other medication or any other health supplements for your pain, you should consult with your doctor before starting the Subutex medication.
- If you have any medical problems, especially with the liver, kidney, lung, thyroid, or adrenal gland, inform your healthcare provider about it as soon as possible.
- Avoid consuming alcohol or taking any other medications when using Subutex as it can lead to respiratory problems which can be fatal in rare cases.
- If you are currently taking Subutex, you should take care of your gum problems.
- Subutex should not be used by pregnant and breastfeeding women, it should only be taken under the supervision of a medical expert due to the risk of neonatal opioid withdrawal syndrome in newborns.
- You should avoid driving or engaging in any other activity while taking Subutex because it can make you drowsy.
It’s important to follow the specific instructions of your healthcare provider when taking Subutex medication and to seek medical attention in case of any side effects or problems while taking the medication.
What Are The Side Effects Of Subutex Medication?
Like any other medication, Subutex can also cause side effects in your body when you are taking it to reduce the pain you are experiencing during the treatment. The common side effects of Subutex may include:
- Blurred vision
- Stomach pain
- Loss of appetite
Subutex can cause severe side effects in some patients which can require immediate medical attention which includes:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Chest pain
- Severe allergic reactions
Before beginning therapy using Subutex, it’s important to have a clear understanding of the risks involved in the treatment. You should consult a professional to determine the proper way of using the Subutex medication. The medical professional can provide you with an explanation list of probable side effects and instructions on how to handle them. Seek emergency medical attention if you develop any negative side effects.
Another thing to keep in mind is how long does Subutex stay in your system to cope with the possible side effects. A detailed explanation of it in the next section.
Also Read: How to Fix a Cracked Tooth Naturally?
How Long Does Subutex Stay In Your System?
The duration that Subutex takes to stay or start working in the body could vary depending on a variety of factors, like the person’s physical health, age, the ability of their body to work, and the amount of the medication that is prescribed by the health provider.
Generally, Subutex medication can stay in your body for 24 to 42 hours. It means that Subutex medication can work properly in the body for about 3–4 days. However, it can take a longer time for some people, especially those who have other problems like liver or kidney problems. The effects of Subutex usually last for several hours after each dose, and the medication can accumulate in the body over time, leading to long-term effects.
Subutex or any opioid medication should not be used as a treatment for any pain or other chronic condition, it is important to take the medication only as prescribed by a health professional. Overdose of the medication can also lead to severe side effects such as slow or shallow breathing, severe drowsiness, and loss of consciousness. You should seek medical attention immediately if you have any of these problems.
So, how long does Subutex stay in your body mainly depends on the health of the individual, dose, and other factors. We recommend you to consult with your medical expert before using Subutex as a medication for pain relief.
Subutex is widely used by people to get instant relief from chronic pain. However, there is confusion regarding how long does Subutex stay in your system and its possible side effects. We shared every information about this medication including side effects, the right way to use it, and the time it takes to work properly. Before you start taking Subutex, we advise you to take assistance from a medical professional regarding its doses. We hope all the information we mentioned above proves helpful to you in the future.
If you have any suggestions or feedback, feel free to share it with us at email@example.com. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter for getting research-backed and expert-reviewed information on various health problems.