Tears serve several important functions, including lubricating the eyes, washing away debris, foreign particles, and keeping the eyes moist. Tears are a natural and healthy part of eye health and are essential for maintaining good vision and eye comfort.
However, many people experience a burning sensation in their faces when the tears flow down from their eyes. This burning sensation can be caused by dryness of the skin, certain medical conditions, or environmental factors which may require medical treatment. If you also ask this question, why do my tears burn my face, this write is for you. In this blog, we will discuss some of the factors which can cause a burning sensation in your face.
Why Do Tears Cause A Burning Sensation On The Face?
Tears come naturally from our eyes when we experience strong emotions, such as sadness, joy, or laughter, resulting in crying. Crying is a natural reaction to deal with emotions and pain, sometimes it can help people to get relief from physical and mental stress, boosting mood and detoxing the body.
The skin beneath your eyes may get dry if you cry for several hours. Since tears contain a natural salt, this saltiness could lead to a burning sensation when they come into contact with your skin. Tears also contain a slight acid that can cause irritation and even a burning sensation.
Common Causes Why Do Tears Burn Face
When you cry, a lot of waste particles from your eyes flow into your skin, which can make your face feel scorching. However, several things can also cause the skin to burn while crying which can include:
Dryness Of Skin
If you already have dry skin, tears can make it drier and can cause a burning sensation or even rashes on your face when tears flow through dry skin. While tears naturally contain salt and an acidic component, when these substances flow to your skin, they may cause a feeling of discomfort or a burning sensation.
Many people are allergic to certain items, including contact lenses, eye drops, and cosmetics like eyeliner or eye shadow. When tears interact with these products, they may cause a burning sensation to the skin.
Environmental pollutants can also cause a burning sensation in your skin. Pollutants like smoke from factories, vehicles, or burning of fire when combined with the tears in your eyes can lead to skin irritation or discomfort in your skin.
People who have sensitive skin are more likely to be affected by the saltiness of tears. Try not to constantly touch your skin when tears are flowing if you have sensitive skin, since this may result in rashes or a burning feeling when tears come in contact with your skin.
The burning sensation of the skin can also be affected when you are suffering from a skin problem. Skin problems like eczema or psoriasis can also be the reason for burning the skin.
Why Do Tears Cause Itchiness On My Cheeks?
Itchiness on the cheeks might occur from dryness or sensitivity of the skin under your eyes, which can happen when tears come into touch with the skin. Due to the placement of the skin on your face, the area beneath your eyes is more likely to be affected by the flow of tears. Itching in the cheeks might also occur from using certain cosmetics or medications. Tears combine with these compounds when they fall down the cheeks, which might result in allergic reactions which can also cause itching in the cheeks.
How To Treat Burning Of Skin Due To The Tears?
The common reason for the burning of skin from tears can be dryness of skin and sensitive skin. There are many ways to treat the burning of skin from tears you can follow some of the following tips:
- Wash your face with fresh cool water to reduce the burning sensation.
- Use a gentle moisturizer like aloe vera gel or a fragrance-free moisturizer around the affected area. This can reduce the skin and help prevent dryness that can worsen the burning sensation.
- Avoid using any makeup, lotions, or other topical products near the affected area until the skin has healed. These products can exacerbate the burning sensation and delay the healing process.
- Drink a lot of water since crying causes tears to flow constantly from the eyes, which can cause dehydration and cause dryness of the skin, and a burning sensation
- Use a cool compress under your eyes or under-eye cream to keep it so that the skin doesn’t get dry.
If the burning sensation persists or if you notice other symptoms like blistering or swelling, it’s important to consult a doctor or dermatologist. They may prescribe medication to reduce skin damage or recommend further treatment options.
Why Do Tears Leave A Red Mark On My Face?
Tears contain salty and acidic water which can lead to rashes and can result in the skin becoming infected or causing red marks on the face. Tears can leave a red mark on the face for several reasons:
- The skin around the eyes is very sensitive and when tears come into contact with the skin, it can irritate. The red mark may be a result of a mild skin irritation that occurred from wiping the irritated area too aggressively.
- Tears can dry the skin out, causing it to become red and irritated. Especially when someone cries for a long time, the skin around the eyes may become dehydrated, which can lead to redness and discomfort.
- If someone has an allergy to the chemicals present in their tears or is allergic to certain materials that come into contact with their face while crying, it can cause a red mark to appear and persist.
- The act of crying can cause inflammation and swelling in the eye area, which may result in a temporary red mark appearance.
To relieve a red mark left from tears, splashing cool water on the face, applying a gentle moisturizer, avoiding touching the eyes, and wiping the face too frequently can be helpful. However, if the red mark persists for an extended period or you are experiencing other symptoms such as pain, swelling, or discharge from the eye, it is important to consult with a skin specialist to determine the cause of the problem.
How To Take Care Of Eyes To Avoid Burning Tears?
The eyes are the most important part of your body and you should take care of the health of your eyes to avoid skin burning from tears. You can try some of the following tips to avoid burning skin from tears.
- Avoid products that can cause irritation or other allergies in your eyes and keep the eye clean by washing it with fresh water.
- To protect your eyes, put on some sunglasses while you’re going out of the house. By covering your eyes with sunglasses, you can prevent dust particles from getting inside and infecting your eyes.
- Get a good sleep at night. Sleeping properly at night can help you feel refreshed in your eyes while staying awake late at night can strain your eyes and cause stress hormones to rise, which can irritate your eyes.
- While we all have a habit of looking at our gadgets for a long time which can cause digital eye strain. You should reduce the screening time if your eyes start itching or burning in your eyes.
- While going to bed, take out your contact lenses so that oxygen and water may enter your eyes more easily. When you sleep with contact lenses in, your eyes may become dry, lose some of their capacity to fight against infection, and can also develop an eye infection.
- Get a regular eye checkup with an optometrist to ensure that your eye health is good and healthy. This can help you to avoid any type of eye problems or any serious medical conditions related to your eye.
Don’t Forget To Read: Are High Cheekbones Attractive?
It’s important to note that prevention is key to avoiding skin irritation and the resulting burning sensation caused by tears. Be gentle when wiping your face, and try to avoid rubbing your eyes or face aggressively. Treating any underlying conditions (like allergies or dryness) can also help prevent future skin irritation and burning sensation caused by tears.
To relieve the burning, you can use a cool compress, use eye drops, avoid irritants, and keep your skin moisturized. It may also be helpful to seek advice from an eye doctor or dermatologist for personalized advice and treatment options. We hope you now get an answer to your question of why do my tears burn my face. For getting such informative posts, subscribe to our newsletter.